Friday, March 12, 2010

shooting 6 by six again


I still have my old Mamiyaflex back from my photography early days.
In art school, we had to learn the basics. We started by building a "camera obscura"basically a cardboard box with a tiny hole in it and some photo paper on the inside ...
then we progressed in the first year, shooting black and white film with these gigantic, heavy, manual medium format cameras. 
Theidea was to really learn how to measure light (extern light meter) ,
 manage focus (change the distance between the lens and the film) and plan a composition upon the huge 6 by 6 prisma (which turned left and right  around) 

My camera, which I found in an old photography store was build sometimes in the early 1960's.

It is still great to shoot with. you get a sense of depth and quality you can't enjoy with a new digital camera even if you put all the megapixels you want on it. (my new 5d MK II has 21) 

I can't see a commercial use for it, so I can save it for my own enjoyment and experiments.





No comments: